Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Free Will and Freedom of Choice

"Unlike any other form of animal life that has been created, we were given the power of choice or free will; along with this power came certain responsibilities. The capacity to choose does not involve freedom from the consequences of our choice. The laws or rules which govern every man and which we cover to some degree in this book, are as exact as the laws which govern the material universe. You can act in accordance with these laws or you can disregard them, but you cannot in any way alter them. The law forever operates and holds you to strict accountability, and there is not the slightest allowance made for ignorance."

Wallace D. Wattles The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter 2

Interesting: the first thing I notice as I start to write this post is my inclination to take it all so seriously! Like it's so heavy that we are not free from the consequences of our choices.

I do admit that I've dug my stubborn heels in in resistance to this point. I remember being struck early on by this sentence: The capacity to choose does not involve freedom from the consequences of our choice. And I remember doing my best to ignore it.

This is one of my last strongholds in resistance to living in The Certain Way. There are areas in my life in which I've refused to accept that I can't just go free wheeling and expect everything to come out copacetic. Well, here's the distinction: I can free wheel and whoop it up unabashedly; however, in order to be living in The Certain Way, and in order to allow riches to come to me, I must be living on the creative rather than competitive plane.

So when coming to a crossroads of choice, this is a simple question to ask myself before acting: am I on the creative or competitive plane?

Seems like a simple enough question!

It leads, then, to the question of whether I'm willing to give up my selfish, competitive, addictive desires - IF they are perpetuating competition. If I'm putting all of my eggs in the Wallace Wattles basket, which I'm committed to doing, 30 days at a time, then the answer must be YES. I'm willing.

And that feels scary to me! Here we are on Day 2. Let's see where you take us, Mr. Wattles!

No comments:

Post a Comment