Saturday, September 26, 2009

Saturday and Grateful Vision of Maui

I dig weekends. Especially when I don't have anything scheduled.

I watched an Eckhart Tolle video today in which he said that the more you are in presence, the less you actually have to do. It gave me pause, as I contemplated Mr. Wattles' direction:

"Do, every day, all that you can do that day, and do each act in an efficient manner." (The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter 12)

In fact, this is one of the core elements of this teaching.

So here's what I see:

When we are fully present, if there are things that need tending to, we will do them. In their own moments, without hurrying (Say what, Mr. Wattles? Never hurry? Cool!). What I find in my life is that when I take time to slow down and get present, it is restful, and often my energy will increase.

I do notice in myself, however, that I have a nearly vicious tendency to project my thoughts into the [imaginary] future and think about things I may or may not need to do. But it doesn't really matter if I need to do the act or not, if I'm doing something else now, I can't do the other act. And so the thought is purposeless.

A few days ago I held this paragraph throughout the day:

"Whatever your action is to be, it is evident that you must act now. You cannot act in the past. It is essential to the clearness of your mental vision that you dismiss the past from your mind. You cannot act in the future because the future is not here yet. And, you cannot tell how you will want to act in any future contingency until that contingency has arrived."

As has been happening as I read this book in this new ways, I am seeing certain sentences stand out in ways I hadn't before. How is it that this sentence didn't stand out to me before?

It is essential to the clearness of your mental vision that you dismiss the past from your mind.

I can see in reading over that statement that holding on to certain images from the past can taint the clearness and optimism of a vision. Mr. Wattles firmly instructs us not to contemplate or talk about past [financial] problems. He says not to talk about how bad things used to be, whether for us or others, because, he says we align ourselves with [poverty] when we put our focus there, even if we're comparing the past with a more favorable current situation.

Something else that's interesting and challenging is the instruction to talk about the things you want as if you already have ownership of them. That is really a new muscle to grow. Because if there isn't faith and purpose (and of course gratitude) in the statement, it won't work. And I, the speaker, won't enjoy the speaking of it for feelings of inauthenticity. So, just another thing to consider as I'm creating things like a Ram Dass retreat in Maui in December, a few months from now. See, even there. That was said with a lack of faith. The instruction is this:

I'm going to a Ram Dass retreat on Maui, December 10 - 15 of this year!

(I feel nervous! But I'm so glad to have the new distinction of "purpose" because I just call that insistence. So I can insist. Yes, this is a new muscle! We're trying it all out here!)

In December I'm traveling to Hawaii for my first time! And visit with the Frires and RD and KD and the awesome other people there, and I'm in love with Hawaii and the people and the peace I carry with me throughout my life. And the food is amazing and we never have to think about it. And my room is great as is the weather. And it's beautiful to be with my old friends again. All is peaceful and well and I'm deeply grateful.

Now we're getting somewhere.

I think I'll go get in the bathtub and read some of this book, eat some strawberries, and then I will see what comes next. I will watch for those moments when I'm projecting into the past or the future. And I'll lovingly touch them and smile and thank them for quieting me down and bringing me right here.

Wow, I can see a place I still can use some distinguishing. Holding the vision vs. being present. How much do we really have to hold that vision? Can we not send it out to the Universe with faith and purpose and gratitude and then just be really present?

. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment