Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Truth, Regardless of Appearances or Looking for Love Behind Everything

Right now I just want to keep digging this Grateful Dead show I'm hearing and smelling the "tranquility" incense burning and see the sky, still a pale white/blue behind the darkened trees. Fall evenings in Texas equal relief.

I'm so grateful I can feel love so easily. The buzz of being-ness. Being, beyond the mind.

This is fun.

I'm betting that what I write tonight won't quite look as I'd imagined it throughout the day.

Today is Day 3 of my concentrated SGR focus. The words I've been holding in my mind today are "truth, beyond appearances."

The good Mr. Wattles writes:

"There is no labor from which most people shrink as they do from that of sustained and consecutive thought; it is the hardest work in the world. This is especially true when truth is contrary to appearances. Every appearance in the visible world tends to produce a corresponding form in the mind which observes it. This can only be prevented by holding the thought of the truth."

Wallace D. Wattles The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter 4

Let me repeat one of those sentences here: Every appearance in the visible world tends to produce a corresponding form in the mind which observes it.

He goes on to say that this story-making can only be prevented by holding the thought of the truth, and that truth is health and abundance, even with the appearance of sickness and poverty. Yes, I say, it's love.

I "happened" upon this in A Course in Miracles today:

"The innocent are safe because they share their innocence. Nothing they see is harmful, for their awareness of the truth releases everything from the illusion of harmfulness. And what seemed harmful now stands shining in their innocence, released from sin and fear and happily returned to love. They share the strength of love because they looked on innocence. And every error disappeared because they saw it not."

A Course in Miracles, Chapter 23

Truth, beyond appearances, regardless of appearances is love. And in this school we are re-training our minds; almost like brainwashing the self? Hypnotizing the self? But, no. These are not things we can only create with the thinking mind. Faith must run deeper. There must be a knowing or we would not be able to see beyond the "corresponding form[s] in the mind" that we create in automated reactions.

This was tested with me today at work.

I walked into the nurses' station on the adult unit of the psychiatric hospital where I work, and from the seclusion room I heard loud sobbing and yelling, and then full-on screaming. I mean: screaming. The wave of intensity rippled over me. And yet I was committed today to practice truth, regardless of appearances. Mr. Wattles says this is key and is also the hardest thing we have to do.

I was in the rest room next door to the seclusion room when I heard the patient's full on, elongated scream. It went on so long without a break that I almost wasn't sure I was still hearing a person's voice. And I breathed, and I thought, truth, beyond appearances. It would have been too close for comfort for me to have looked directly at the person and tried to think "health" rather than illness. It didn't actually even cross my mind to try.

I went right to feeling for love in the background of everything. The space behind which all events are occurring. I leaned over my friend's desk and asked her, "What would Wallace Wattles say about this? Truth regardless of appearances?"

We both kind of shrugged, but I can say that my commitment in the moment was to open my heart to innocence. I believe some grace entered the space, even if I wasn't mentally, fully convinced. It's only Day 3, after all.

This is both fun and fascinating and I'm grateful for the opportunity to write on this topic I've been studying for so long now and also for the ability to write - fingers moving, a laptop to use, a body/mind that fires of just the right charges to make all this go. Amazing. Thank you. I'm curious to see where these days go.

No comments:

Post a Comment