Monday, October 5, 2009

Ask and it Shall Be Given . . .

"It is important for you to remember that spirit awaits direction from the soul. 'Ask and it shall be given,' was excellent advice." - Wallace D. Wattles, The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter 1

As I sat down to write just now, I didn't want to hold the hot laptop right on my lap, thin jammies and all. From where I sat I looked around the room, with purpose. At first I didn't see anything I could use as a desk, and then I saw, on a chair across from me, the perfect notebook. Hard cover, spiral. The kinds I use for my Morning Pages.

*** That was fun! I just "mistyped" the beginning of the word Morning, and what came out was: Om. As if that isn't sweet enough, on my Pandora right now is a song called "Inside the Om". Nice. ***

It's all connected like that.

So many things I can point to in the SGR world today. An interesting thing came up for me while I was at work that hasn't come up since I've been doing the job I currently do: I felt - for the first time - like I was getting ready to move on.

I've been so grateful for this position, for the ease of it and for the way I created it in a way that really works for me. I don't know what was different today. It could have easily been the food I'd eaten. It could have been the gray skies. And it could have been old sankaras coming up. Who knows. It could have also been none of that. Regardless of any why, the experience I had was of sleepiness and boredom. I felt like I was outgrowing it.

So I'm just curios to see if that's because I'm more than filling my present place and I am, in fact, evolving out of it. Nothing I can do to move that along than to keep on living in the Certain Way. Focused on and grateful for the present. Holding the clear mental images in the mind with the faith and purpose that they're coming to me. It's a trip to walk up the stairs at the hospital and bring myself fully into that moment and also mentally declare: this is making me rich.

I'm steeped more deeply in this paradigm, that's for sure.

I feel like I had something deep I wanted to share, but the thought was fleeting.

So here's another SGR moment: Tonight I tried out a new recipe and was sort of feeling sorry for myself, missing the chef who used to hang around, wanting to share my food. Well, as it turned out, I overcooked just about everything in the meal that could be overcooked -- but the flavors were good. So I got to practice making this meal with its failures and didn't have to serve anyone else, lover or not, mushy food. In the end, I was grateful that I was cooking for myself. Everything works out.

I played the Patti Smith song, "Grateful", tonight (dang! where do those commas go?) on my guitar and sang it. Every time, the refrain is the same: It all will come out fine . . . I've learned it line by line. And as I sat on my couch, lights dim and comfortable, feet cool and bare on the clean hardwood floor, I knew the absolute truth of that statement.

Often in the moment of disappointment, it's hard to surrender and not to feel blue, as Mr. Wattles suggests. He reminds us that there's a greater mind at play and that, in fact, that greater mind is more eager to give us what we want than we are to get it. (Say what? Wow.)

I told someone yesterday, "I trust in the greater good." Looking back on that conversation now, I recognize that I was surrendering. Even though there were things my ego wanted, I tapped into something higher. Something I could trust more than my base cravings, and I asked it to choose for me.

And so I pray to God to handle things for me. I take my hands - mostly - off the wheel. It seems to be the smarter thing to do. Rather than to push against my cravings. Rather than to make anything wrong. I simply pray for the greater good, with FAITH that we are in the arms of the Benevolent Creator.

I'm curious. Things look pretty neat around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment